Current Job Listings:
Currently no available listings
Interested in Interning at HCP?
Find out how to apply on the Internship page
Volunteering is where the heart is. During certain times of the year, HCP will need help with preparing for large events. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be placed on the volunteer opportunity email list.
Houston Center for Photography enjoys a long-standing reputation for presenting exhibitions and educational
programs that are of the highest cultural and artistic merit. As one of the only organizations in Houston focusing on the presentation of contemporary photography, HCP fills a particular niche within the city’s vibrant and diverse visual arts landscape. Both local and national media outlets regularly review our exhibitions and we collaborate often with many local organizations. HCP is dedicated to exhibiting important work that is not being shown elsewhere in Houston.
Assistant Director of Education
Job Description—Major Duties
Reports to: Executive Director
Houston Center for Photography (HCP) seeks a creative and detail-oriented Assistant Director of Education to oversee the development and implementation of HCP’s on-site Learning Center. With more than 300 classes per year, and a professional-grade Digital Darkroom, Critique Room, and Lighting Studio, the Learning Center at HCP is one of the most sought-after artist resources for photography in Houston. The Assistant Director of Education will coordinate and oversee all aspects of the Learning Center including programming quarterly seasons of courses, Master Classes with iconic artists and working closely with HCP’s Resident Instructor and Executive Director on the overall strategy and course development of the program. The ideal candidate will have a well-rounded knowledge of photography in all its forms, experience working in an arts education space, strong writing and administrative skills, and be passionate about furthering HCP’s vision and mission for the center.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. The Assistant Director of Education is an ideal position for an individual pursuing a career in an arts leadership capacity within a non-profit art space and is a great opportunity to be involved in the essential educational and operational aspects of a leading arts institution in the heart of the Museum District.
Learning Center Responsibilities
· Lead the development of the vision for the future of the Learning Center and work with the Resident Instructor to insure curriculum supports the vision
· Broaden the scope of HCP’s educational programming to reach diverse audiences via a range of instructors and class types
· Manage instructors, establish contracts and training, and ensure proper payment
· Oversee classroom instruction to ensure a high-quality learning experience
· Maintain feedback and statistics to support grant opportunities and reporting
· Supervise tech support and orientation for new users in Digital Darkroom
· Plan and develop Master Class schedule for upcoming year with Executive Director
· Develop and schedule educational calendars (Fall, Spring, and Summer) and summer camps
· Provide regular reports to the Education Committee on attendance, budgets, and member/student feedback
· With Finance Manager and ED, create and manage LC budget
· Supervise accession of new books, journals, and periodicals to the library on a monthly basis
Student Involvement Responsibilities
· Serve as main liaison with students and instructors for problem resolution
· Schedule private lessons
· Direct certificate student portfolio reviews and be responsive to student feedback
· Respond to questions, concerns of students
· Collect and track student surveys and comments with Resident Instructor
- BFA in Photography required; Master's degree in Photography, Arts Education, or related field highly preferred
- Proficiency in photographic techniques and software
- 3+ years experience in related field
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Proficiency in a Mac environment and the drive to pick up new skills as needed
Wages and Schedule:
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits
This position is open until filled. Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references combined into one PDF to: email@example.com. Please put “Assistant Director of Education” in your subject line. Applications will only be accepted via email.
Mission and Location:
HCP's mission is to increase society's understanding and appreciation of photography and its evolving role in contemporary culture. HCP strives to encourage artists, build audiences, stimulate dialogue, and promote inquiry about photography and related media through education, exhibitions, publications, fellowship programs, and community collaboration. HCP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving as a resource to its members and the community with programs that have regional and national impact. HCP is located at 1441 West Alabama in the Museum District of Houston. For more information, please call 713-529-4755 or visit www.hcponline.org.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Houston Center for Photography is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of HCP.