Job Description—Major Duties
Reports to: Executive Director
Houston Center for Photography (HCP) seeks a creative, proactive, and detail-oriented Administrative Manager to work closely with HCP’s Executive Director in strategically implementing organizational, development, and communications-based initiatives. The ideal candidate will identify ways to streamline HCP’s internal procedures, creating opportunities for the development of special projects in concert with HCP’s leadership team. In addition to providing administrative support and leadership, the Administrative Manager will manage two part-time gallery assistants, steward HCP’s robust volunteer and membership programs, and be the primary point of contact for gallery visitors and the public.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits, open immediately. The Administrative Manager is an ideal position for an individual pursuing a career in an administrative leadership capacity within a non-profit art space and is a great opportunity to be involved in the essential operational aspects of a leading arts institution in the heart of the Museum District.
• Oversee and coordinate operational, administrative and facility-related activities including regular gallery and classroom maintenance, database management, and organizational planning calendars
• Process gifts and generate donor correspondence and reports for ED and Director of Development
• Coordinate HCP events such as patron events, members-only Capture Crawls, opening receptions and lectures, and collaborations with other institutions
• Alongside ED, facilitate organizational scheduling and communication to the staff and Board of Directors, and prepare materials for meetings
• Act as the first point of contact for visitors by answering phones, greeting visitors, and answering questions
• Supervise, train and maintain consistency of performance with Gallery Assistant staff
• Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and organizational efficiency
• Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including Spot magazine, e-newsletters, brochures, and HCP’s website
This position requires a mature candidate with four or more years working in a high-level administrative capacity. Experience working with confidential information, and a strong focus on visitor/patron experience is essential. Candidates must have a proven ability to meet multiple deadlines, prioritize, and communicate effectively with staff, board, visitors, and donors. Knowledge of photography is a plus, but is not required. A passion for the visual arts is essential. Some evening and weekend work is required.
To apply for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume with references as a single pdf. Multiple documents will not be opened. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes generous paid time off, an IRA plan with employer match, and health insurance.
About Houston Center for Photography:
Houston Center for Photography’s mission is to increase society's understanding and appreciation of photography and its evolving role in contemporary culture. HCP encourages artists, builds audiences, stimulates dialogue, and promotes inquiry about photography and related media through education, exhibitions, publications, fellowship programs, and community collaborations. HCP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving as a resource to its members and the community with programs that have regional and national impact.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Houston Center for Photography is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of HCP.