Haley Berkman is an independent curator and writer as well as Curatorial Assistant at the Menil Collection, Houston. She has previously held curatorial positions at various arts organizations including the Museum of Modern Art, New York; the Dallas Museum of Art; the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; and the Pentagram Stiftung, Venice. She holds a BA with honors in Art History and Archaeology from Washington University in St. Louis and an MA in the History of Art and Archaeology from the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, where she focused on contemporary art and photography.
Click here to see the images selected in Learning Curve 10.
DEADLINE: June 25, 2018
Learning Curve 11: HCP’s Student Exhibition
Juried by Haley Berkman, Curatorial Assistant, the Menil Collection, Houston, TX
Learning Curve is an annual exhibition of selected work made by HCP´s students from the past year. From digital to alternative processes, the exhibition highlights the various educational programs HCP offers through its Learning Center.
The Houston Center for Photography offers over 300 workshops and classes a year ranging in skill level and medium reaching over 1,000 lifelong learners. The instructors that lead these photography workshops are local professional photographers and artists that are able to share their knowledge with the Houston community. In addition to the group of instructors from Houston, HCP also hosts classes taught by visiting artists from across the nation such as Duane Michals, Dornith Doherty, Susan Burnstine, Henry Horenstein, and Joni Sternbach. With a large and experienced group of instructors, HCP is able to offer something to students of all levels and photographic experiences.
HCP's next Learning Curve exhibition is on view in the East Gallery from September 7, 2018 to November 11, 2018.
Anyone who has taken a class or workshop at HCP between January 2017 and June 2018 is invited to submit work for this exhibition.
How to Enter
· To enter, upload up to five images, a resume, and artist statement to https://hcponline.submittable.com/submit
· Include image details: Title, Medium, Year, Dimensions
· There is no fee to submit your images and participate in this exhibition.
Artwork selected to be included in the exhibition must:
· Have been taken within the past year
· Be framed in a black frame no larger than 16" x 20" – ready to hang
· Have a submission form with the print
· Bright white mats only
Devin Wilkins, Hudson Bend #1, 2017, 11 x 14 inches, inkjet print
Click here to see the photographs displayed in the Learning Curve 10 exhibition in 2017.
· Call For Entry Opens: Monday, June 4. 2018
· Submission Deadline: Monday, June 25, 2018
· Notification (via email): Friday, August 3, 2018
· Submissions Drop-off: Monday, August 13 – Friday, August 24 (during gallery hours), 2018
· Opening Reception: Friday, September 7, 5:30pm – 8pm
· Exhibition dates: September 7 through November 11, 2018
· Work Pick-up Date: Starting Monday, November 12, 2018 (work not picked up after 30 days becomes property of HCP)
For more information:
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 713.529.4755