Patricia Restrepo is an independent curator and writer who has worked at art institutions and publications in Germany, Mexico, the United Kingdom, and the United States. She is the Curatorial Associate and Business Manger at the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, where she is responsible for overseeing the institution's exhibition and catalogue production, as well as managing the museum’s curatorial budget. Patricia is the co-founder of the curatorial collective dissensus, which focuses on advancing Rancière's call for disruption by mobilizing individuals through critical art. She has held an artist residency at FotoFest for over two years, where she teaches Literacy through Photography to Houston youth. After receiving her undergraduate degree in Mathematical Economic Analysis and Policy Studies from Rice University, she obtained her master’s degree in Cultural Studies from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium. Her academic focus was on the nexus of critical theory with modern and contemporary art.
Click here to see the images selected in Learning Curve 9.
DEADLINE: JULY 7, 2017 This Call is Closed
Learning Curve 10: HCP’s Student Exhibition
Juried by Patricia Restrepo, Curatorial Associate and Business Manager, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
Learning Curve is an annual exhibition of selected work made by HCP´s students from the past year. From digital to alternative processes, the exhibition highlights the various educational programs HCP offers through its Learning Center.
The Houston Center for Photography offers over 300 workshops and classes a year ranging in skill level and medium reaching over 1,000 lifelong learners. The instructors that lead these photography workshops are local professional photographers and artists that are able to share their knowledge with the Houston community. In addition to the group of instructors from Houston, HCP also hosts classes taught by visiting artists from across the nation such as Duane Michals, Dornith Doherty, Susan Burnstine, Henry Horenstein, and Joni Sternbach. With a large and experienced group of instructors, HCP is able to offer something to students of all levels and photographic experiences.
HCP's next Learning Curve exhibition is on view in the East Gallery from September 8, 2017 to October 22, 2017.
Anyone who has taken a class or workshop at HCP between January 2016 and June 2017 is invited to submit work for this exhibition.
How to Enter
· To enter, upload up to five images, a resume, and artist statement to https://hcponline.submittable.com/submit
· Include image details: Title, Medium, Year, Dimensions
· There is no fee to submit your images and participate in this exhibition.
Artwork selected to be included in the exhibition must:
· Have been taken within the past year
· Be framed in a black frame no larger than 16" x 20" – ready to hang
· Have a submission form with the print
· Bright white mats only
The Exhibition:Ron Levy (Houston, TX) Underbelly of Bridge Tunnels into Dusk, 2015, courtesy of the artist
Click here to see the photographs displayed in the Learning Curve 9 exhibition in 2016.
· Call For Entry Opens: Monday, June 5, 2017
· Submission Deadline: Monday, June 26, 2017 EXTENDED TO JULY 7, 2017
· Notification (via email): Wednesday, August 2, 2017
· Submissions Drop-off: Monday, August 14 – Friday, August 25 (during gallery hours)
· Opening Reception: Friday, September 8, 5:30pm – 8pm
· Exhibition dates: September 8 through October 22, 2017
· Work Pick-up Date: Starting Monday, October 23, 2017 (work not picked up after 30 days becomes property of HCP)
For more information:
Please contact us at email@example.com, or at 713.529.4755